Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy President's Day!

For many years Americans have celebrated President's Day, which is George Washington's birthday, with desserts made from cherries.  People traditionally make cherry pies, cherry cakes or just eat a handful of right out of the bowl.  This tradition reflects on the legendary story of little George wandering into the garden and using his hatchet, and he hacked into the bark of his father's most precious English cherry tree.  When his father discovered that his tree had been vandalized, he demanded to know who had done this to his tree.
 
 
George stepped forward and said "I cannot tell a lie father, you know I cannot tell a lie!  I did cut it with my little hatchet."  His father's anger left his face and he hugged him and said "My son that you should not be afraid to tell the truth is more to me than a thousand trees!  Yes though they were blossomed with silver and had leaves of the purest gold."

I hope you enjoy this day as we honor not only George Washington, but all of our great previous leaders!

No comments: